Connection is Key!
Connection is key! But how do you get it with your horse? Here are a few ways to go about it:
* Realizing it is a game. Don’t get frustrated or impatient, or you’ll lose his respect. Try saying “How interesting!” when you come across something that you may not want or expect. You’ll use this a lot and it allows you to think and observe your horse’s behavior without judgment.
* Doing the opposite of what he expects. Humans can be so predictable!
* Being subtler. When your horse gets you to move more than he does, you’re losing the game!
* Not repeating things over and over. Confident horses are fast learners and can get bored with too much repetition. Unconfident horses need repetition until they are calm and ready to move on to something else.
* Enjoying the challenge. Mental connection leads to motivation.
What’s your favorite way to help your horse connect with you?